Tuesday 5 April 2016

Working Progress





Firstly, I want to apologise for the lack of posts recently, Iv'e been home for Easter break so Iv'e been slacking a little!

I finished these paintings before a few weeks ago now but it's better late then never to show you, right? Anyway, I told you that the white and blue pot would show up again, and it has, twice!

Creating my work involves a lot of masking tape stencils tediously cut out to layer up colours and shapes. I try to keep them as a documentation of process and now I have a sketchbook full of used stencils. In a recent assessment presentation my tutors expressed an interest in the sketchbook of stencils as an object, something I have overlooked because my focus is always on my paintings. Since then Iv'e decided to look at my work slightly differently and realised that I should try and do something with all the stencils. So, inspired by artist James Quinn and the trompe l'oeil style of painting I have made a series of work capturing the paintings in progress. The tape has been painted into the work alluding to it being there whilst also giving the viewer an insight into how the painting is constructed.

My plan is to push this idea further to see what I can do and where I can go as I believe there is a lot of mileage yet to explore with this subject.

I hope you like the different approach to my work and be sure to let me know what your thoughts are.

Also, a quick bit of good news, I was shortlisted to the second round of the Royal Academy Summer Exhibition with my painting 'Show Room' and have to deliver my work to London for the second round of judging! There was 12,000 applicants and only 4,000 shortlist places. I know there is still a long way to go yet but I am super excited and happy that I have got through to the next round and with a bit of luck I will have some more good news for you in May when the next set of results are out. For now though, keep your fingers crossed for me? 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Masking Paint. All rights reserved.
Blog design by labinastudio.