Friday 15 April 2016

Paintings About Painting



Remember that series of paintings I mentioned I was working on? Well here they are! I've created two triptychs based on abstracting my stencils and taking them out of the trompe l'oeil context they were in before.

I went through my sketchbook of used stencils and picked out some interesting ones that I thought would look intriguing on a larger scale. I then enlarged these onto wood panels and recreated the colours to mirror the original stencils. The edge of the wood panel becomes the edge of the stencil thus making the painting into the object rather than a painting of the object, a little like what Jasper Johns does with his 'Flag'. The colours and shapes also look similar to Matisse's cut outs, especially his more organic plant-like ones.

I really like these paintings as a series of abstract works, I think they definitely look better as a three rather than individually because they all link to each other. It says something about my processes whilst not being super literal about what they are. These six paintings are still fairly small measuring at only 30x30cm and I wonder what they would look like on a much larger scale, possibly at 100x100cm or bigger. For now though I am going to leave this series as it is as I am happy with how it has turned out.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Masking Paint. All rights reserved.
Blog design by labinastudio.