Sunday 24 April 2016

Paolozzi


As well as the KAWS exhibition, the Yorkshire Sculpture Park is showing some of Eduardo Paolozzi's graphic collages. The YSP isn't a stranger to the work of Paolozzi as it has been home to some of his sculptures in the past. This exhibition is quite different though as it features his post-war pop culture collages that deals with the 'ways in which our society has changed together with its evolving preoccupations'.


I really enjoyed seeing Paolozzi's exhibition and I love how he takes recognisable figures such as Michaelangelo's David and juxtaposes them against popular icons such as Mickey Mouse. It was also interesting to see his sketchbooks as it gave me an insight into how he collages together ideas for future compositions. I really wish I was able to collage with found objects; train tickets, paper bags, postcards and leaflets etc. but I have no idea where to start. Paolozzi's exhibition was very inspiring though so I might start keeping bits and bobs to collage with for a bit of fun. If you haven't already seen his work, you should definitely make a trip to the Yorkshire Sculpture Park. You could also take a stroll to the Longside Gallery to see the KAWS exhibition!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Masking Paint. All rights reserved.
Blog design by labinastudio.