Saturday 23 April 2016

KAWS


I've seen an abundance of photos on social media from the KAWS exhibition and I've been very jealous because it's been on my bucket list of things to see for a while now. After a few weekends of work, I finally got a day off to spend with Amy so we went on a day trip to the Yorkshire Sculpture Park to see the show and it was fantastic!





The Longside Gallery is showing the UK's first exhibition from KAWS and demonstrates the discerning relationship between pop culture, consumerism and art history.  Huge sculptures adapted from his trademark graffiti tag are combined with recognisable cartoons and brand mascots and are shown alongside never-seen-before acrylic paintings that are meticulously created for a flawless finish.




The exhibition continues in the Lower Park with a group of huge wooden sculptures that dwarf the crowds of visitors trying to get a selfie with them. I love how the sculptures have a smooth rounded finish but I definitely prefer the raw wood over the black paint because to me the black paint connotes something different.

I really enjoyed the KAWS exhibition, especially his pantings in the Longside Gallery. I admire the flatness he has managed to capture in the application of paint and the crisp edges of the shapes. It was a super sunny day too so it was a lovely walk from the Lower Park to the gallery. If you haven't been to see the KAWS exhibition yet I would recommend you pay it a visit. It's on until June so there is plenty of time to pop over!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Masking Paint. All rights reserved.
Blog design by labinastudio.