Monday 7 September 2015

Art Journal Review - Juxtapoz

Juxtapoz has always been a favourite of mine over the abundance of art magazines that are heavy with fashion and lifestyle because of its focus on art, design and photography. As well as trying to pick up the latest copy of Juxtapoz I also follow the magazine on Instagram and I am always pleasantly surprised by the amazing work of current artists around the world. I have just come back from a holiday in Cornwall and the long car journeys and relaxing days on the beach meant I had plenty of time to have a read through the August issue.


In the issue I came across an article called Mystery Within Boundaries in which artist Tom Killian is featured with his Japanese-style woodblock prints of Northern California. These beautiful landscape prints caught my eye because of their incredible detail and amazing colour. Killian loves the Japanese-style woodblock carving technique because he can be the designer, carver and printer and so can immerse himself in the whole process. I really liked the article because as well as mentioning possible activism within his work it also touched on the process itself, which is something I am interested in. In my second year at university I would really like to get into the print room and take advantage of what there is to offer and woodblock printing sounds like something I would love to try. (I am in the painting and printmaking strand after all...) If you would like to read the full interview or want to view more of his work you can check it out here on the Juxtapoz website.

Greenwood Cove, Mendocino Coast
Muir Beach
Point Reyes from Chimney Rock

No comments:

Post a Comment

Masking Paint. All rights reserved.
Blog design by labinastudio.