Wednesday 24 June 2015

The Art Market - Review


This year was the first year Leeds College of Art have held an Art Market to run alongside the degree show so you could say we were the guinea pigs to test the waters. Going into it I had some doubts that it would be a bust... but I was very mistaken. I will admit I had visions of an unorganised mess with no resulting sales and wasted time, however it proved me wrong. Once we had spent the day setting it up in the canteen it started to take shape. There was a great variety of things for sale from paintings to prints, badges to magnets and jewellery to cushions. Everyone had put a lot of effort into packaging, pricing and displaying their work along with business cards to make it all professional. The shop looked amazing and so I thought I'd show you some things.






The Art Market appeared to be a great hit with the public with the opening night taking just under £700 worth of profit between all of the sales which was fantastic! Cards, earrings, keyrings, coasters and small prints seemed to be the most popular things to buy as they are 'pocket money stuff' - things that cost a couple of quid people can spend their change on. Having said that plenty of other things were sold including handmade sketchbooks, zines, large prints and paintings. I personally sold a few paintings which is awesome! The takings through the whole event added up to over £1,700 which is amazing, it makes me wonder why it has never been done before! I know now it will happen again as it is such as good opportunity for us to sell our work and you don't lose anything for doing it (apart from a little time). If you are from Leeds College of Art why not think about participating next year? You've got nothing to lose; you learn a lot about preparing your work to be sold and you might make some money. I will definitely be doing it next year and I hope you will too!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Masking Paint. All rights reserved.
Blog design by labinastudio.