Tuesday 10 May 2016

Handmade Pots on Indian Stone


It's been a while since I last posted anything and that's because the past couple of weeks have been a little busy with deadlines and presentations capping off my second year at uni. I've finally handed in all my work for assessment, emptied my studio space and sent off my dissertation proposal for next year so I have a little bit of breathing space for the time being.

In April I posted about some ceramic pots I'd made over Easter and mentioned I wanted to use them in my paintings (here). 'Handmade Pots on Indian Stone' is the first painting to feature my ceramic vessels and captures them sat on Indian stone tiles inspired by images of interiors photographed in home design magazines. I wanted to try and capture the surface texture of the pots to depict the unfired and unglazed aesthetic they have through the use of varied shades of grey and gestural brushwork. I'm really pleased with how it turned out and I found it refreshing to work from three dimensional source material rather than sketches or photographs. This is something I want to try and incorporate into my practice more frequently as it helps give a different perspective on the subject.

The next few weeks are exiting for me; I'm going to London on Thursday to drop off a painting for the second round of judging for the RA Summer Exhibition, I've started a few more paintings and I will hopefully be selling some pewter pug pins in the degree show art market (a separate post about that is to come).

As it's moving towards summer I'm hoping to be able to blog a little more consistently, especially as there are a few degree shows on the horizon so keep your eyes out for those! For now though, thanks for stopping by and I'll see you in the next one!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Masking Paint. All rights reserved.
Blog design by labinastudio.