Wednesday 3 February 2016

Silk Screen Shenanigans



In the past I have found the print room an intimidating place because it is usually full of people who know exactly what they are doing. Printed Textiles and Illustration students are often found there working away with such confidence that it is slightly off-putting for the likes of me who have no clue how to do any of it... until now. Luckily for me the print room facilities were booked out for my course last week to do a couple of workshops which I found extremely valuable.

I spent the first half of the week in a digital preparation workshop learning about the aspect of making positives to use on a silk screen. It was an amazing workshop as I gained knowledge on how to prepare for colour separation, half tone and CMYK printing. I then took what I had learned in those sessions to the print workshop where I was able to have a practice with a huge screen and a vacuum bed which was super fun! Unfortunately, because of timing constraints I was only able to print one design but I played about with multiple colours and different papers. Above are some photos of my two colour prints.

I was really surprised at how easy the whole process was. It's time consuming and a lot of the prep is spent waiting for things to dry but the results are well worth the effort! I had such a great time in the workshop and it has definitely inspired me to think about taking my work into silk screen, especially now as I know how the whole system works.

I also did some CMYK prints at the end of the week but I am going to do another post about them so keep an eye out for that!

2 comments:

  1. These look great jake, and were not all as scary as you know who haha :)
    Even I find the print room intimidating sometimes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thanks Jodie! Haha that's very true indeed, I believe everyone thinks the same at some point!

      Delete

Masking Paint. All rights reserved.
Blog design by labinastudio.