Saturday 24 September 2016

Silson Contemporary


This October is particularly exciting for me as it marks the first time I will be showing selected works in an official, commercial, contemporary art gallery. Located within fifteen walking minutes of Harrogate city centre, Silson Contemporary is a new independent art gallery exhibiting the work of emerging and established artists from Yorkshire. With over twenty gallery artists the work on show covers a diverse range of disciplines from painting and printmaking, drawing and textiles and ceramics and sculpture.

This amazing opportunity was a result of hard work and a case of being 'in the right place at the right time'. During my second year at university I spent a lot of time (and money) submitting my paintings to exhibitions and competitions and it proved pretty successful. I had also been working non-stop on my website as part of a university module to get it looking as professional and streamlined as possible with the aim of getting it to  appear high on the search engine results. 

After a bout of exhibition rejections I was finally accepted to display a painting at "Fresh", an exhibition showcasing the work of thirteen emerging artists from the North of England. My painting was exhibited in the two-week show alongside fellow Leeds College of Art students Terry Lister and Mia Allonby. It was because of the show that Silson Contemporary had discovered my work and had then proceeded to contact me about it through my website. 

It's a good job I sent off those applications and put in the hours on my website!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Masking Paint. All rights reserved.
Blog design by labinastudio.